Monday, February 11, 2013

Learning Something New in 2013

In lieu of New Year’s Resolutions, a few years ago I decided to pick one new thing a year to learn or focus on.  I’ve learned photography, how to knit and crochet and how to be healthy.  Now, Chris also picks something to learn/focus on and we also choose something for the kids (with their input).

So my goal in 2012 was to learn how to be healthy – both food and exercise.  I learned the following things:

  • How to truly read a nutrition label – calories, fat, protein, carbs, sodium, sugar, and artificial ingredients and choose better food options because of it
  • How to get more protein and healthy fat in my diet and fewer carbs
  • How to cook homemade, healthy, well balanced meals
  • How many calories I need in a day to maintain, lose or gain weight
  • How many calories I can comfortably eat in one sitting
  • How to complete a weight lifting routine
  • How strong I am and how much endurance I have
  • How to change my body composition to reduce fat and add muscle
  • How to stay motivated with exercise
  • How to get enough rest and take care of my health (stress relief like walks in sunshine or reading a book, regular chiropractic care and massages)

My hardwork paid off, along with the support from my husband and kids.  My only fitness goal this year is to complete a Mud Run or Warrior Dash, plus continue with my new lifestyle of eating healthy and exercising regularly.

Purple dress: Sept 2011 197 lbs size 14.  Red dress: Dec 2011 191 lb size 12.  Black dress: Dec 2012 169 lb size 6

IMG_3617_editholidaycompare

(If you want to see more progress photos/stats or what I did, go here: http://ladyace2078mfp.blogspot.com/2013/02/1-year-progress.html)

For 2013 I’ve chosen Personal Finance as my area to focus/learn (again with Chris’ support).  We have some significant financial goals that will require us start focusing now in order to make them happen.  However because I grew up in the bottom fifth of income earning households and I now reside in the top fifth, I never learned how to truly manage finances.  I know a lot of the basics, but not enough of the details.

So with that we are doing some of the following things:

  1. Organize our financial records both electronically and hard copy, including: tax returns, retirement accounts, social security statements, investment accounts, savings/checking accounts, mortgage documents, credit card debt, other debt/liabilities (car, student loan, etc), insurance (home, car, life, medical, etc), family will/trust, kids’ accounts (college, etc), and our financial plan
  2. Define our 5 values as individuals and as a couple
  3. List all of our short and long term financial goals.
  4. Set 5 short term goals to be completed in the next year
  5. Set a stricter budget and stick to it with a solid understanding of money in/money out (managing today and the future)
  6. Educate ourselves on all things financial:
    • Retirement planning
    • Savings accounts (emergency fund, vacations, car, household, etc)
    • Will & Trust
    • Health Coverage
    • Insurance (life, car, house, long term care, disability, etc)
    • Planning for our dreams (paying off the house, changing careers, paying for kids’ college, investments, owning property, travel, etc)
    • Learning when we need to hire a professional
    • How to teach the kids about money and personal finance

Chris is choosing health this year (first half will be diet and weight training, ending with a Mud Run or Warrior Dash, second half will be martial arts so that he can learn rock climbing next year).  Cooper wants to learn karate and how to swim and Charlotte wants a trophy (in soccer or gymnastics she says).

No comments: